Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mitt Romney Ends His Presidential Bid




I posted in the wake of Super Tuesday that Romney would likely end his campaign. He has done so today. He is quoted in the USA Today:

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or (Barack) Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," Romney planned to say in a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference.

"This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters ... many of you right here in this room ... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming president. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country."

Read the story here. And as I wrote earlier this day, it is time for Republicans to rally around McCain.

No comments: