Thank god that boy had a weapon - in this case an AR15, the same type of rifle used at Sandy Hook - and knew how to use it.
The AR15 has several characteristics that make it an eminently practical weapon for self defense. One, it has virtually no recoil, thus making it something that most anyone of any level of strength can use to fire multiple shots with good accuracy. Two, while an AR15 fires a small caliber bullet - 5.56 - it does so with very high muzzle velocity, 3,110 feet per second. It's stopping power comes causing significant cavitation in the body. In other words, pinpoint accuracy isn't required.
By comparison, the M9 9mm handgun fires a larger bullet, but does so at 1,250 fps. Like virtually all pistols, it has a fairly significant recoil that a weaker individual might have trouble with. To reduce recoil, you have to go to smaller caliber weapons and smaller loads. The smaller the caliber and muzzle velocity, all other things being equal, the less effective will be the weapon when it comes to self defense against a determined attacker.
Bottom line, banning the AR15 and its variants is banning perhaps the single most effective weapon for home defense. That is particularly true for women and teens. Keep that in mind as the left tries to disarm America in the wake of Sandy Hook.
- Guns, Equality, & A Land Where "Thieves Rule This Country At Night"
- Larry Correia's Brilliant Essay On Guns, Gun Control & Concealed Carry
- Thoughts On Gun Control From The Late Paul Harvey
- The Futility Of An Assault Weapons Ban As An Answer To Sandy Hook
- When Seconds Counted At Sandy Hook, Police Were Twenty Minutes Away
- St. Louis Police Chief Calls for Arming School Personnel
- John Fund essay on Mass Murders, Gun Control & Our Treatment of Mental Illness
- Luby Cafeteria Massacre, Testimony of Suzanna Hupp, Texas School District Authorizes Concealed Carry For Its Schools
- Reynolds On Gun Free Zones, The Left's Mistrust Of Armed Private Citizens, & Our Problematic Mental Health Laws
Linked: Larwyn's Linx