From the CNN Sandy Hook timeline:
At the police station, dispatchers began to take calls from inside the school. Authorities say the first emergency call about the shooting came in at "approximately" 9:30 a.m.
"Sandy Hook school. Caller is indicating she thinks someone is shooting in the building," a dispatcher told fire and medical personnel, according to 911 tapes.
Police and other first responders arrived on scene about 20 minutes after the first calls.
Police report that no law enforcement officers discharged their weapons at any point.
The gunman took his own life, police said. He took out a handgun and shot himself in a classroom as law enforcement officers approached, officials said.
Twenty students, ages 6 and 7, and six adults were killed at the school.
The murder of 26 students and teachers at Sandy Hook is both a massacre and a tragedy. The fact that the murderer met no armed resistance during the 20 minutes of his massacre is an obscenity.
The solution to this problem seems pretty simple. The only way to stop a person with a gun is another person with a gun at the time and place of the crime - and, as former police officer Mike McDaniel writes at PJM, because of response times, that will rarely, if ever, be a member of the police. Allowing school staff and teachers to be trained and authorized to carry concealed weapons, as already occurring in some places and called for in others, is the "school solution."
But the left wants our nation disarmed. They do not trust anyone with a gun - unless, of course, its the people directly providing security for them. So, for them, the solution is to take more guns away from the law abiding and designating more areas
free fire gun free zones.
Links: - Ace of Spades: Penn & Teller On Gun Control
- Instapundit: The questions to ask to start the debate on gun control . . .
- Sowell: Gun Control Ignorance
- PJM: States With Stricter Gun Control Laws Are Less Safe
- St. Louis Police Chief Calls for Arming School Personnel
- John Fund essay on Mass Murders, Gun Control & Our Treatment of Mental Illness
- Luby Cafeteria Massacre, Testimony of Suzanna Hupp, Texas School District Authorizes Concealed Carry For Its Schools
- Reynolds On Gun Free Zones, The Left's Mistrust Of Armed Private Citizens, & Our Problematic Mental Health Laws