Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Stuff Of Nightmares - Or At Least B Movie Horror Films

That's not snow on the ground.  It's spider silk.  How many spiders does it take to completely encase the ground surrounding a house and an out building in a web?  I don't know, and I am not going within 100 miles of that spot to count them.

The webs were made by spiders fleeing floodwaters in Australia.  More pictures at The Atlantic.


Paul_In_Houston said...

I remember an H.G. Wells short story, "The Valley of Spiders", in which a horde of them were borne by the wind in balloon-like balls spun of silk.

I first read it while a selection from Richard Rogers "Victory at Sea" album was playing (a piece about the D-Day preparations, I think).

The music fit perfectly and the combination was creepy as Hell.

GW said...

Haven't read the short story, but an acre sized web is more than enough to leave me creeped out just thinking about it.