Monday, January 18, 2010

Watcher's Results Are In

Each week, the members of the Watcher's Council nominate one of their own posts and a second from outside the Council for consideration by other council members in a contest for best post. The Watcher publishes the results each Friday. And the results of this weeks voting are in:

In the Council category, coming in first place was Bookworm Room's very thoughtful essay on how the underlying arguments justifying abortion have lost their validity, giving us The Need For An Honest 21st Century Debate On Abortion. Coming in second place was my "War and Peace" length post, National Security At The End Of Obama's First Year." My ultra-long posts never win - and I am sure at least some of my fellow watcher's members break into profanity when they click to find one of my multi-volume submissions - but I did this one both to evaluate the status of our national security and to get all of my national security arguments in a single post for much greater ease of future reference.

In the non-council category, coming in first place was a post that closely tracks some of the arguments I made in my post on national security. The post was Rabbi Aryeh Spero's President Obama Must Choose Sides, in which he strongly criticizes Obama for his deliberate obfuscation of Islam as at the root of the terrorist threat that we face. I go one farther, identifying Salafi Islam and those schools it has heavily influenced as the roots of Islamic terrorism. Coming in second place was Big Lizards' Voting Rights for Felons: “Race Neutral” = Race Biased, a deconstruction - as only Dafydd can do - of just a horrid, left wing decision by the Ninth Circuit extending voting rights to felons in prison, irrespective of state laws.

You can find the full results of the voting here.

1 comment:

OBloodyHell said...

> My ultra-long posts never win - and I am sure at least some of my fellow watcher's members break into profanity when they click to find one of my multi-volume submissions

If a post is well-written, it is just the right length to get the needed ideas across.

And readers who aren't brain-dead don't have a problem with that -- just look to Bill Whittle, over at Eject!x3, whose historical posts were often multi-page essays, but most of them were excellently written, so it didn't matter.